The past couple of days has been very busy. Tonight was the ward Christmas party, most likely the "last hurrah" for our Activities Committee. We have been planning it for months. I was in charge of directing a small Christmas play. Back in October, I searched the internet for suitable material and came up with a handful of terribly lame, cheesy skits. So I decided to write one. It's ended up coming together very nicely. I focussed on the Saviour being the true meaning of Christmas. I find that it is much too easy to forget Him at Christmas time.
Yesterday (Friday) morning we went to the church to decorate. I then went home to work on the set for the skit. I had to create a fireplace with no budget (basically I had to use stuff from around the house). I made it out of paper and stapled it to the black curtain at the back of the stage. Its turned out kind of cute. I might tape it to my wall for the rest of December, as we have no real fireplace.
The Fireplace had a gap in one side to allow Santa to enter without walking through the "flames". I heard an audible gasp from the kids when Santa came in.
Me and Rory with the fireplace.
This morning we had to prepare all the last minute props and decorations for this evening's party and cook a turkey. That's right folks. Me, the person who for 5 years has managed to cook without actually touching raw meat of any kind (I use utensils or put my hand in a baggy if I have too!!) had to COOK A TURKEY!!! When I was asked if I would do it, I said okay, but that I have no idea what I'm doing. When my turkey was delivered to me to be cooked, it came with all the necessary ingredients and instructions.
Last night, when I read through what the recipe would require of me, I almost cried. I have to what??? I have to separate the skin from the meat and rub it with spices???? Then what??? I have to stick my hand INSIDE ITS BUTT!!!!!!!
I approached the bird this morning with the caution one would use in approaching a wild animal...not that one should ever approach a wild animal. The point is, I was terrified.
I settled myself down by preparing the rub. Grind up ingredients in the blender. I can do that. I then took the bird out of the fridge, (bet you cooks out there know whats coming next...) Thats right, the bird was still frozen! At this point its 1 o'clock in the afternoon and this thing needs to be done by 5:30. No time to thaw this sucker out! We stuck it in hot water for a bit and were thrilled upon closer inspection to find that it was only slightly frozen and appeared to be much better now. Well as good as one can but when one is beheaded, plucked, frozen, thawed and about to have a human put her hand up its butt!!
So after all this preparation,
and several deep calming breaths,
I touched it...
and several deep calming breaths,
I touched it...
...
...
Needless to say, cooking turkeys now officially falls under Matt's duties and responsibilities as a loving husband.
He kindly prepared and cooked the bird, with very limited mocking. (He did flap the wings at me which caused me to dry heave for a good 5 minutes, the mere thought of it now is bringing on the gag reflex!)
Well the party was a huge success. The play went well and the food was scrumptious.
Then Rory met Santa for the second time this year. Let's just say, she has yet to warm up to him.
Following the potentially permanent scarring of her Santa encounter, Rory danced the night away (or more accurately danced until 9:30 when her mom took her home).
She liked to sing too!
She is now sleeping soundly upstairs in her big girl bed. Did I mention she didn't nap today. 9:00 church tomorrow - Heaven help us all!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment