background

October 5, 2012

I Love to See the Temple

I love to see the temple.
I'm going there someday
To feel the Holy Spirit,
To listen and to pray.
...
For the temple is a holy place
Where we are sealed together.
As a child of God, I've learned this truth:
A family is forever.
(Children's songbook, 95)

Yesterday, Matt and I had the privilege to take our beautiful girls to the Calgary Temple open house. We had spend the previous day leading tours through this beautiful, sacred building and were really excited to be able to share it with our daughters. Rory was so excited she kept yelling "temple!" every time she saw it (in real life and in the introductory video on the tour.) But once we entered the holy house, she was very reverent and respectful. I was really happy to share the bride's room with her. The bride's room is a place where we will be, just the two of us, as she gets ready for her wedding (in 20 years or so). I was showing her her reflection in one of the beautifully ornate golden mirrors when I looked up and noticed our tour guide had tears in her eyes. She said she was touched as she watched us and could imagine us together, twenty years down the road sharing another beautiful moment in that mirror.

The temple is a beautiful building. As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that it is the House of the Lord and that it is the most sacred building on the earth. You can see the love that we have for our God as you look at the details on the outside and inside of the building. It has been built to the highest standard by the most skilled hands.

Inside the temple, members of the church learn about our Saviour Jesus Christ. We also learn about our Heavenly Father's plan for us; where we came from, what He wants us to do while we are here and what will happen after we leave this life.

In the temple we are also married to our spouse not just for this life but for eternity. And when we are married in the temple, our children are sealed to us as well. I was married in the Edmonton Temple and sealed to Matt for eternity. I am so grateful that I will be with him and with our children forever.

After our tour, I asked Rory what she had felt inside. She said she liked looking at all the different rooms and the cookie she got at the end. She was sad to leave. In the car on the way home she said: "The temple is Heavenly Father's house. I feel happy there."
The blessings of the temple are so amazing! I am so glad that we now have a temple in Calgary! I hope to visit it often so that I can feel the spirit and peace of that place.

Now through October 20th, the temple is open for tours. After that point it will be dedicated, and then only members of the church who are in good standing will be able to enter. If you would like an opportunity to go through go to:
calgarymormontemple.org
for information or to reserve a spot on a tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment