background

July 3, 2012

Birthday Month

So June may be the busiest month all year! And the girls aren't even in school yet! I have made a mental note not to have anymore babies in June as it is a busy enough birthday month as it is!! This month Rory turned three, and as you can tell from my previous post I went all out on her party. We also had fun celebrating her actual birthday. My mom came down for the day and we went swimming. It was Sophie first time and I cannot believe how mellow she was. She just hung out. Even when the sprinklers turn on and splashed her in the face, she was just chill. She is so different from Rory who is still very nervous in water (could have something with being dropped in the pool). We're working on that. It was a fun swimming trip none the less.
Look at those girls in their matching suits. So cute!
 We made homemade pizza for dinner as per Rory's request and topped it with ham and bacon. Yum.
 Dessert was chocolate fudge cupcakes topped with strawberry cream. Delicious!
 After dinner, Rory got to open presents. She was so patient all day waiting for this. Grandma got her some awesome stuff including the Princess and the Frog on bluray. Lucky girl.
Daddy bought her a princess trike! We contemplated going with a 2wheeler but are glad we stuck with the trike. She can't quite work the pedals yet but we are working on it. She just needs to grow a little bit more. At the rate Sophie is growing she will fit it next year, which is part of why we bought it.
 Rory showing off her new tent. 
She always wants to make forts but we don't have the best furniture for forts (the cushions don't come off the couches) and I thought a tent would be a good option. I found a tutorial on pinterest for a hula hoop tent. It was way to confusing and expensive but it inspired me none the less. I made this tent out of an old set of curtains and a dollarstore hula hoop.
 She loves it! In fact she has slept in it a couple times.
 A couple days later was my birthday. I turned 25. (yikes!) Matt was gone for part of the day at a father-son camp for church, but made it up to me by spending the whole afternoon window shopping (without complaining) and got me a dairy queen ice cream cake, which is my favourite! We also are getting a king size bed as my 'birthday present'. It'll be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait!
 Our neighbour gave us this bench. Her daughter is starting high school and has long since outgrown it. She thought it would be just about the right size for our girls. I took this picture of Rory testing it out. I'm planning on refinishing it and putting it in my garden, when I get around to having a garden.
 Rory got this sandbox for her birthday from Grandma and Grandpa Beazer. She loves it! And luckily, it has been really nice lately and she has had lots of time to play in it. One day after work, her daddy helped her make this. They were very proud. So cute. 
 We took the bar off Rory's bed a little while ago so she is now officially in a big girls bed. She has only fallen out a handful of times and this is probably why. The girl cannot just sleep normally. Sometimes when I check on her only her shoulders and head are on the bed, sometimes even they are hanging off. No wonder she gets up three times a night, this can't be comfortable!! (No comment from you, Mom and Dad. I am well aware of all the pictures you have of me in the same kind of positions. You wonder why Matt and I need a king size bed?)
 While Jade and Jared were visiting one weekend, we took Rory out on a birthday date just with her mom and dad (Sophie stayed home). We took her to see Disney's Brave. It was a great movie. It's beautiful and funny and I loved the message. 
 I don't know why it took me so long to do it, but I finally got out the Jolly Jumper and strapped Sophie in. She loves it, just like Rory did. It sure beats walking around with her for hours. At first she just kind of stood there, and walked in a circle, but now she is in full jumping mode and is loving it!!
So recently Sophie has taken to sitting up (supported of course). She is very determined not to relax her head back. She is just getting so big! I can't believe how grown up she looks. She loves watching Rory play her games on the iPad. So many sounds and colours. And always educational of course!
Yesterday Rory went to her very first dance class. A couple weeks ago, I started watching the new season of So You Think You Can Dance. I PVRed it, so I was watching during the day and Rory was enthralled! She said to me "Mom, when I'n a big girl, I'n going to dance on that stage!" So I looked up all the dance classes available for 3 year olds in the NW area and found a 3 year old only class called And We Are 3. It is a one week class for three years olds to get their feet wet so to speak and decide if they like dance enough to sign up for the fall semester. So I bought Rory a dance outfit at a Zellers closeout sale and tied her hair up in a bun (or bum as Rory referred to it.) And off she went. I was nervous to drop her off as she can be very shy, especially when she knows no one, and parents aren't allowed in the dance studios. But she tentatively followed Ms. Black and her fellow dancers down the hall and out of sight. Half an hour later, she came bounding back with a giant smile on her face showed me her pink sticker and told me all about the class. Today she was so excited to go back that she ran up to Ms Black and gave her a huge hug. The poor teacher clearly was not expecting that. It was funny. Tomorrow we head back for day three. I can't wait for Friday, when parents will be allowed to come and watch. 


We ended June off as busy as we started it. On Friday night, we realized it was a long weekend and we actually had no plans! No family events out of town, no family here visiting. I honestly think this is the first long weekend we have spent together alone in our home since we were married! So naturally we decided we should get some stuff done around the house. A conversation that started with the idea to relocate a bush in the yard ended with tearing down half of the front deck, rebuilding it, and painting all the ugly brown trim on the front of the house. It was a very long saturday! We were only able to get two coats of white paint on the trim and will need to do at least one more, so no pictures for now. But I already love the change!! Whoever decided that yellow and brown was a good colour combination has clearly not changed very many diapers!

July is shaping up to be a wonderful month! We have a trip to Spokane planned (without Rory!) and a family camping expedition on the books. I can't wait! Matt is so busy between work and church that we hardly see him. This will be a great chance to relax and recharge and be together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment