This lovely girl turned three in February!
Sophie is a fun, vibrant little girl and is full to the brim with personality. This year she insisted on having a Swan Princess party. (a la 1994 Swan Princess film, her favourite at the time) The down side to using a classic film such as this, is there is limited material out there on the good ol' internet. So these ideas had to come from the creatively, cluttered world of 'the mom noggin'. Princess Odette's dress is blue and white so that gave us our colour scheme.
Matt really wanted to do helium balloons and I'm glad he did. The kids loved them!
Odette can only take human form when the moon touches the lake. So we decorated the kitchen island to look like the lake with stars and moon overhead.
Sophie really wanted a princess cake. It was quite elaborate for me, so I kept the rest of the food simple and fresh. Just fruit and lemonade. (and we got out ice cream at the last minute).
I had never covered a cake in fondant before and was very nervous, but it turned out okay.
I learned some things that will hopefully make next time even more successful.
The princess skirt cake pan I borrowed from my mom. She used it when I was a kid. The barbie that came with it was all kinds of creepy. So I bought a cheap barbie knockoff from Walmart and broke her legs off so she would fit.
I found this handprint craft idea on Pinterest and adapted it to fit the theme.
I don't have any pictures of the kids doing the craft because there were 6 kids and only 2 parents so it was all hands on deck. Painting with 2,3,4, and 6 year olds is stressful!
The finished product. A swan swimming on a lake.
In the movie, Prince Derek is determined to rescue Princess Odette and becomes obsessed with practicing his archery skills. So the kids took a turn practicing theirs as well.
No animals were harmed in the playing of this game.
We also played musical lily pads to the tunes from the film.
Sophie really wanted a pink cake, so I added a little food colouring to the cake batter.
I was a bit worried about how Jasper would handle the party but he was great.
Snack time is always the quietest time at a party.
Presents!
We finished off the party by watching Princess Odette and Prince Derek's love ballad and dancing around with white feather boas.
Each child got to take home their own feather boa (sorry parents!) a balloon, and a lily pad party favour containing candy jewellery and a glow ring. (again, thank you Pinterest for that idea)
Sophie had a wonderful time at her party and continues to play with all the awesome presents she got. (She wears that pink poofy skirt EVERY DAY.) She keeps asking when she gets to turn four. To be honest, this was a pretty low key party for me. I didn't want to take on too much, knowing it was just Matt and I running it. It turned out great and was done by noon! Happy Birthday Sophie! I love you!




No comments:
Post a Comment