I have always loved to read. The joy of escaping the mundane, or stressful, or depressing, or exhausting or happily simple life I live for the magical and adventurous ones I find it books! I've frequently been that rude person at gatherings sitting in a quiet corner unable to "just finish this one chapter". I'm sorry if you have been subjected to my rudeness but I just LOVE BOOKS! To prove my point, in the month of december alone, I read 10 novels. So you see why that wouldn't leave much time for blogging. One of my favourite novels was 'the Night Circus' (Thank you Kathryn for the recommendation. It's amazing!) I also read a couple of trilogies, taken after the whole popular Hunger Games style; post apocalyptic societies and such. I really like one called Under the Never Sky. And of course some good old fashioned historical fiction romances (Edenbrooke and Blackmoore anyone?!) Anyways, moral of the story: Books=Good.
My other obsession, crocheting, is a rather new one for me. My mother-in-law taught me how when we were snowed in in Cardston at the end of November. I started with scarves and ear warmers and have moved on to hats. I made these three hats in the past two weeks. Check them out:
November
November eludes me for the most part. I spent it working hard on Christmas presents and goodies etc. We did spend Remembrance Day at the Zoo with the girls. It was gorgeous out but not very crowded so we got to linger in the penguin exhibit which is really rare. Afterwards we went out for donuts at Timmys which was a scrumptious end to the day!
We also saw some great movies in November. Matt and I went on a date to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which was awesome and we took the girls to see Frozen which was so fantastic they have since seen it two more times, and have the entire soundtrack memorized. The cutest Disney movie ever!!
Rory's pose! heeheehee i die!
At the end of November we drove down to Cardston to celebrate American Thanksgiving with the Beazer clan. It was a really fun weekend. Matt's sister Stephanie was flying up from Missouri on the Sunday, so we decided to stay an extra day to see her. That of course left us in the middle of a blizzard. We ended up staying two extra days so we could drive home in safety on freshly scrapped and gravelled highways. That was the weekend I learned to crochet and started my first of my 10 December books (after finishing the Hobbit).
Showing off my first crochet project.
DecemberDecember brought with it many family visits and Christmas functions. First off was the 2nd ward Christmas party with its yummy food, fun dance, and a visit from a hard working North Pole native:
It was so fun.
Rory also had an open house at dance where we got to go see what she has been learning in class.
Tap
Ballet
Then we got to to go to Rory's preschool Christmas concert. It was the cutest thing ever! They even acted out the Nativity which really impressed me.
In her costume for the Nativity. She was the innkeeper.
After the concert, we drove up to Edmonton to celebrate Christmas with the Hudsons. Tanner's mission departure date was twice delayed, meaning he didn't end up leaving until right before Christmas. This gave us the opportunity to have one last hurrah as a whole family. A hurrah that included an open house/party with a piñata, presents, a full Christmas dinner and a family trip to see the Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug in theatre (without my girls of course, but they got to see Frozen with my cousins; so there were no complaints there!) It was a great time. As Rory was already done school for the break, we were able to stay an extra day and just hang out with Tanner since we were not going to be able to be there when he left for the airport two days later at 4 am. The girls played hide and seek with Tanner for hours! When we were giving out goodbye hugs at the end, Tanner kept squeezing Sophie and she kept saying "No, down. No, down!" She's going to be the one who changes the most in the two years Tanner's gone.
Trying out the piñata.
So excited for presents!
Princesses!
This year for the first time in our marriage, we decided to celebrate Christmas eve and Christmas morning at our own home. It was great to start our own traditions! I wanted to make it seem as Christmas-y as possible so we spent the days in advance baking cookies and dipping chocolates. I even made orange rolls and cinnamon buns as they are Christmas breakfast tradition in my house.
All ready to dip chocolates for the first time!
Sophie wasn't sure about getting her hands dirty...
Decorating cookies!
Orange rolls and cinnamon buns!
We started our celebrations on Monday night with a trip to see the Live Nativity. It was a really great way to remember the true meaning of Christmas. Of course it was made a little less reverent by my little toddler who was fascinated by the donkey and kept pointing at it and yelling "Moose!" The next day was Christmas Eve and we celebrated by having friends over for Raclette. Raclette is a favourite dinner of ours that originates from the Swiss Alp mountain men. After a night playing with friends, we calmed down a bit and had a nice Christmas Eve family home evening. We started off by reading the Christmas story I wrote a couple of years ago in which Santa bears his testimony of the Saviour. It is a really nice way to incorporate Old St Nic I think he has become a symbol of materialism in the unbelieving world but I think he also stands for sacrifice, service and a little bit of wonder and magic. All things I approve of. We sang The Friendly Beasts which is a Hudson tradition. My Grandfather passed away many years ago now but one of my clearest memories of him is singing that song. He had a beautiful voice! I learned to play it on the piano this year so I could accompany us as we clang. It was a really nice moment. We finished things off by reading the nativity story from the Bible and acting it out with the little people nativity set as we don't really have enough people in our family for a full on play. Then we opened up our christmas jammies, sprinkled reindeer food out the door and set cookies out by the fire. With that we tucked the kids snug in their beds eager and earnest for the next days festivities to begin!Christmas morning arrived and considering how early our girls get up normally, they did a great job staying in their bed until after 6. We had set up the baby gate at the top of the stairs so they couldn't sneak down and see what had been brought. Oh, a funny story: Matt told Rory that if she didn't stay in her bed all night long, Santa would come and instead of bringing presents he would steal our Christmas tree. (nothing like a little bit of fear mongering on Christmas Eve). We then preceded to move the Christmas Tree from the front room by the window to the family room by the fireplace (so we could open presents in the comfy room that actually has furniture). I didn't know about the threat until after it was done! Needless to say, she stayed in her bed and probably had a mini heart attack when she looked over the railing in the morning and saw that the tree was missing from the front room. Daddies can sure be mean!
Our stairs are open to the floors below so as soon as we moved the baby gate, Rory could see down into the family room and her eyes fell immediately on the giant doll house set up and displayed in front of the fireplace. Once she saw that she booked it all the way down, not waiting as we kept asking her to, for her slower but just as excited baby sis. Santa was good to our girls this year, bringing them a furnished doll house, Sofia the first toys, disney socks, new underwear, hair stuff, notebooks, and treats.
After stockings we took a break for breakfast. We had yummy cinnamon buns and orange rolls and fruit.
Then we opened presents. From their folks, these kids got an abundance of new things too. Rory got: Strawberry shortcake dolls, books and an ereader to read books aloud to her. She got a tea set and dress ups (from Sophie). A Merida dress (made by me) and a bow and arrow carefully hidden away since our trip to Disneyland in August. Sophie got a puppy vet kit, dress up minnie complete with suitcase storage case, books, a puzzle and a minnie mouse dress made with love by her Momma! Rory got her sister a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse road mat and two cars.
(Sorry for the list! It's mostly so that I can remember in the future where/when each toy came from.)
Matt got luggage as he has been travelling more for work and shouldn't go on business trips with a duffle bag carryon (not so professional!). He also got books, movies, treats and as always socks! I got stuff for the kitchen and a new lens for our camera! Some really good books and lots of chocolate too. (My man knows me well! Sadly the chocolate is all gone now. Sad, so so very sad!)
Opening presents!
New dress ups!
After the present opening we got dressed, packed up and head out to Cardston. In the future I think I will wait to travel until boxing day. We got out of the city really quick as there was almost no traffic, but it made Christmas day strangely disjointed. I didn't like it. But I did like being with our Beazer family! We opened gifts, had a scrumptious dinner and got to hang out watching movies and having fun. We went to Waterton to enjoy the gorgeous weather (though it was mighty windy!) and play around with our new camera lens. We also went into Lethbridge to see Frozen again with Tyler, Steph and Vince and Grandma and Grandpa. It was so fun! We even went out for pizza after.
Opening more presents!
Playing with the new lens.
Waterton
Tyler, Vince and Stephanie. Vince looks so pleased!
Grandma Beazer and Sophie
Family Picture!
Sisters
So much wind!
After our Cardston trip we headed up to Edmonton for New Years. There we watched Junior boys hockey, did puzzles, read books, watched movies, and ate, ate ate! My aunt and uncle always throw an awesome new years eve party, which we were very excited to attend. Our kids didn't last more than a couple of hours, so Matt and I rang in the New Year watching Iron Man 3 at my folks while our kids slept snug in their beds.January
Matt got to stay home for four more days before going back to work. He took that time to indoctrinate our girls in the wonderful world of Star Wars. Too fun! (the lightsabers were gifts to Matt from the girls.)
News Years day we travelled back home eager to embark on our first project of the new year, Potty Training!! I use the three day method that guarantees any child 22 months of age or older can be training in three days. Sophie was 22 1/2 months so I decided to try. I used the same method with Rory and she was trained in two days. Granted she was 24 months at the time. Sophie took a little longer. The first day and a half were basically spent cleaning up puddles. By day three she actually would relieve herself in the potty, within a week we had our first accident free day. It's now been a month since we started. She still has the occasional accident, and we haven't quite master the going #2 yet, though she has actually made great strides in that department in the past week. She doesn't wear pull ups or diapers anymore, not to bed or out in public. We did put one on her when we were on a road trip but it was unnecessary as she stayed dry the whole time. It has been an all consuming process and I am quite exhausted but I'm happy with how well she has been doing. And that I don't need to buy diapers anymore! Oh and my washing machine doesn't work properly, and having a broken washing machine while potty training is a fate I would wish on no man. Let's just leave it at that!We went up to Edmonton in January to go to the Harry Potter exhibit and to meet my cousin's new baby girl, Everly, who is such a sweetheart.
Matt went away on business for a week which was rough as always. I really lean on him. I kept myself and the kids as busy as possible while he was gone. We did crafts and made popcorn and went shopping. I bought a new light for my stairs and had Matt hang it up pretty much as soon as he came back! (I was a bit excited) and you would be too! See the difference:
Before
After!!!!!!
Love it!
Anyways, it is now February which means it is birthday month once again in our house! I'm really excited for Sophie's special day! Stay tuned for more on that front.
Happy Valentine's Day y'all!!









































awww so fun! I love that Sophie kept saying "Moose!" hilarious! And the new light looks beautiful :)
ReplyDelete