background

June 20, 2013

Birthday! Birthday!

June is birthday month in our house. 50% of our family celebrates being birthed in the (crazy!) month of June. First, it was Rory's turn. She turned four! She was still recovering from being sick so we had a pretty low-key day planned. First we decorated cupcakes.
Then Rory got to open her presents. She was just a little bit excited about that!
Merida nightgown from Sophie.
Jasmine doll.
Jasmine nightgown.
Princess dance bag.
Singing happy birthday to the FOUR year old!
She wasn't feeling well and didn't have any homemade pizza (her requested bday dinner) or cupcakes. Poor kid!
Sophie on the other hand had no problem digging right in!
The next night was Rory's birthday party and fortunately, she was feeling much better. She wanted a pajama party, since Rory would probably wear pjs all day every day if I let her. We decided to make it a 'sleepover' party. Her friends came over in the pjs and we had sleepover games and snacks and then they all went home to sleep in their own beds. My kind of sleepover! 
The invitations:
It said, "Come on over for milk & cookies and lots of sleepover fun! (Sleepover not included)."
We kept the decor fairly simple. I cut a bunch of stars out of poster board and Matt hung them from the ceiling, kind of like our own little milky way.
We used the headboard for Sophie's "big girl bed" (which we haven't set up yet) and created a sleepover table for the craft and snack. Rory was trying to figure out who was going to sleep there. She didn't really get that it was just a decoration.
For snacks, we had cookies, cupcakes (we had just enough left over from the day before. It was like I planned it, but I didn't) and three different flavours of milk.
For activities we played musical pillows (musical chairs without the chairs). The kids danced to disney songs and when the music stopped had to find a pillow. It was cute. They had a lot of fun dancing. 
We also gave each kid a balloon full of candy and made them pop them with pillows. It was so hilarious! We don't have any pictures of it but we did get a pretty funny video. In the end, most kids popped their balloons by throwing them against the floor or in Connor's case, the window. It was pretty funny! 
For the craft, we stencilled each child's name on a pillowcase and they got to decorate them with fabric markers. (I also forgot to get pictures of that!)
Then I wrapped up each pillowcase with a toothbrush and the guests got to take them home as their favour.
Posing for a picture before presents. 
Singing happy birthday to the birthday girl!
After presents and snack, we made a fort and the kids all sat under it, while I read them stories. I was only planning on reading them a couple but they kept requesting more. Their favourite was Pete the Cat. If you haven't read it to your kids, do it! We read it twice.
Notice Rory getting more and more comfortable with each picture. Silly kid!
Well the party was friday night and two days later was Father's Day and my 26th birthday. We tried to split the day up so that Matt and I could each have time to be spoiled and celebrated with the girls. After church we had our traditional pancake lunch and Matt got to open his Father's Day presents. He mostly got BBQ accessories to go with his new backyard man toy. (Which feeds us many delicious meals that I don't have to cook! That's what I call a win win!)
Love Rory's face!
Then it was my turn. Matt made a rotisserie roast and potatoes and I got to relax. Then at dinner, I got my tiffany's necklace. 
Super excited!
 Rory helping me show off my new turquoise pendant. 
I love my girls!
Nothings makes a birthday better than spending it with loved ones. I also got serenaded by my primary class (I teach the 4-5 year olds) and got lots of hugs from those sweet kiddos! My family and Matt's family also FaceTimed and made me feel special. It was a really great (busy!) weekend. And now I am left to deal with the fact that I'm the mother of a four year old! (ten years until she can learn to drive my car! Ahh!) I'm getting old! Oh well, Matt's still older!

No comments:

Post a Comment