background

January 4, 2011

To Stay or Go Away

Do to teething, Rory has been very clingy lately. She has to be with me all the time and whenever I put her to bed (at night or nap time), she whimpers for me to "Stay!" (while patting the pillow beside her). I tell her that I can't stay but she puts up a fight every time. 

It all came to a head last night, when after waking up before 1 and not going back to sleep for hours, she ended up in our bed. This naturally meant Matt slept on the couch. This was not a good plan for any of us and all three of us woke up tired and grumpy this morning. So I made it my mission to end this. Now.

All day long, I talked to Rory about how big and brave she was and about how big girls don't need to their moms to cuddle them to sleep. So tonight, I get her all ready and take her up to bed. As I tuck her in and go through our typical bedtime routine, she looks up at me and says, clear as a bell, "Go away!" I couldn't believe my ears! I asked her if she wanted me to go away, just to be sure. Her reply: "Da!" (that means yes.) So I got up and left, closing the door behind me. In her room, not a peep was heard. I could get used to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment